The history of the company and experience of work
The history of the company began on 9th February, 1946 when Saratov branch (SO GSGT) was instituted by order No. 8470/12 of the State Union Geophysical trust of the People’s commissariat for oil resources of the eastern regions of the USSR. It is this date that is commonly assumed to be the date of creation of the enterprise which currently bears name “Saratovneftegeofizika”.
- 1950 the enterprise was reorganized into Saratov Geophysical office (SGO), and in 1951 year SGO became NigneVolgskiy Exploring Geophysical trust (NVRGT) under which name the enterprise existed for 19 years. Crews working in Stalingrad Region gave rise to the Stalingrad Geophysical Department on the basis of which in 1957 an unaffiliated trust “Volgogradneftegeophysica” was set up.
- 1953 Astrakhan complex geophysical expedition was organized within the enterprise system. It was its parties that later served as the base for an independent geophysical enterprise to be created in Astrakhan region.
- 1957 a group of thematic party employees was placed on detached service at Saratov “VNII Geophysics” laboratory. The group composed the backbone of geophysics department of subsequently created Lower Volga Institute of geology and geophysics (NVNIIGG) (Saratov).
- 1960 magnetic recording and processing of analog seismic data was applied by “Saratovneftegeofizika” for first time in USSR.
- 1965 in connection with liquidation of “sovnarkhoz” (national economy councils), the enterprise passed to the control of the Main administration of petroleum geophysics and well logging (“Glavneftegeofizika”) of the USSR Ministry of petroleum industry, and in 1970 NVRGT was renamed “Saratovneftegeofizika”. By then “Saratovneftegeofizika” had become a powerful well-equipped geophysical enterprise and one of the industry leaders. Taking into consideration the leading position of “Saratovneftegeofizika” in introducing new methods of observations, treatment and apparatus to production (our company was the leader in applying new method CDP 2D), the Ministry entrusted the enterprise with a mission to organize geophysical services in new regions.
- 1973 “Saratovneftegeofizika” was one of the first company which applied analog-digital processing of seismic data. Following a decision about accelerated geophysical explorations in the Eastern Caspian Sea region, “Saratovneftegeofizika” started seismic prospecting works in Western Kazakhstan. Works were conducted by separate geophysical crews, with no additional structures created up to 1991.
- 1975 Kyrgyz complex geophysical expedition (KKGE) was organized, remaining part of the enterprise until 1994 year, whereupon it went under Kyrgyz Republic authority as a joint-stock company with state participation to become Republic’s first national geophysical organization. Parties of the enterprise worked in many regions and republics of the Soviet Union: Saratov, Volgograd, Tyumen regions of Russia; Guryev and Mangyshlak regions of Kazakhstan; Surkhandaryinsk region of Uzbekistan; Leninabad and other regions of Tadjikistan.
Introduction of advanced exploration methods facilitated considerable improvement of geologic efficiency of works. It was made possible also due to a team of gifted geologists and geophysicists led by chief geologist Vyacheslav Pavlovich Shebaldin who was appointed to this position in 1973. According to our seismic data, on the territories where seismic prospecting works were conducted, the total of 96 oil and gas deposits were discovered. The most significant discoveries were made in West Kazakhstan. In 1974, works on Tengiz area began, and in 1975 recommendations were put forward for drilling out Tengiz structure with the area of 425 km² — the largest in the Soviet Union.
- 1979 Surgut petroleum geophysical expedition (SPGE) was created, later on (1994) being turned over to the system of “Surgutneftegeofizika” trust.
- 1981 in Kazakhstan, Oktyabrsk petroleum geophysical expedition (OPGE) was organized. OPGE functioned as part of “Saratovneftegeofizika” system until 1993, when it was turned over to the Republic of Kazakhstan as a joint-stock company with state participation.
- 1982 “Saratovneftegeofizika” was the first company in USSR which performed 3D seismic survey project on the area of 580 square kilometers. 3D model of the giant Tengiz oilfield with reserves more than 4 billion tons was made.
- 1987 “Saratovneftegeofizika” trust was reorganized into a production association (PO SNGF) of the same name.
- 1989 in Leninabad region (Tajikistan), Tajik complex geophysical expedition (TKGE) was created. The expedition conducted seismic prospecting works on the territory of Tajik Republic. TKGE still remains within “Saratovneftegeofizika” systems as a Tajik branch enterprise. It is the only geophysical service in the Republic of Tajikistan that has been preserved in the country after the civil war. Moreover, at present the largest database of geological and geophysical information on Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan is in “Saratovneftegeofizika”.
- 1991 the enterprise became the first among other allied enterprises to be reorganized into a joint-stock company preserving its name — “Saratovneftegeofizika”.
- 2006 almost complete reequipment was done according to the highest world standards.At the moment field crews have seismic 27-ton vibrators with Pelton (USA) electronics; seismic stations SN-408UL (Sercel, France), INPUT/OUTPUT — 4 and Progress-T2 (SKB SP, Russia); and also field computer center for preprocessing and data quality control. Main processing center has up-to-date cluster complex linked with several dozen of terminals and stations. It has state of the art software Geocluster 3.1. (CGG,France), MilleniumX (Green Mountain Geophysics, USA), GeoDepth (Paradigm, USA), Geographix (Halliburton, USA) for interpretation. Aiming at the range of services expansion, we have mastered the following complexes allowing to increase reliability of geological forecast according to seismic data: AVO analysis seismic stratigraphic inversions, and seismic materials’ migration up to summarizing, including full-wave algorithm.
At the moment “Saratovneftegeofizika” is a well-balanced company with latest equipment and highly qualified personnel. Many of our staff members have experience of working abroad — in Angola, India, Iraq, Syria, Algeria.